Someone who is also living authentically without guilt and shame – as so very well articulated by Brene Brown.
“Authenticity is the daily practice of letting go of who we think we’re supposed to be and embracing who we are.”
How do you find out what your values are? And what are values?
We help you articulate your values through our coaching program, although there are loads of resources you can read about this as well.
Some books that I have found have helped me are:
Purpose Driven Life, by Rick Warren
Power of Now, Eckhart Tolle
There are also analytical tools such as Myers Briggs and the Gallop Strength Finder that I have found extremely useful in helping me personally articulate my values and purpose.
So. My tips to be a happy and healthy person? It’s not rocket science, but most of us lose sight along the way of life and need a little reminder (myself included!)
- Live authentically – be true to yourself and you will feel calmer inside. Others may not always agree with you, but as long as you are 100% authentic to yourself, you will be able to deal with the consequences that may arise
Know your values and purpose. Start living in alignment with them. It will give you greater clarity and focus.
- Find ‘your thing’ to help move your body! For me, it’s currently boxing, the gym, strength and conditioning training. I love it. But I get that we are all not the same. Do yoga. Walk, Swim, Dance, Rock Climb. Roller skate. Surf. Choose your form of movement that helps make you happy.
Do it 4-5 times per week. Get those good chemicals and hormones flowing! According to an article from Forbes, even 10 minutes of exercise releases GABA, a neurotransmitter that soothes us and helps us stay in control of our impulses.
- Drink more water! Start your day with 2 glasses of fresh water. I personally love to drink hot water from the kettle (with a little cold water mixed in to help me get it down!). This is a habit I take with me everywhere. It keeps me hydrated, flushes out toxins and generally makes me feel great!
- Eat more vegetables. Preferably leafy greens. Get those disease fighting veggies into your body! I love broccoli, spinach, rocket, zucchini, snowpeas…in fact, I could keep on going with my list!
Try to to incorporate vegetables into every meal. At breakfast, I will include broccoli or mushrooms, spinach into my eggs. At lunch, steamed veggies or salad and at dinner, it is veggie extravaganza alongside my protein!
- Sleep more. This is one that I personally struggle with, but am getting a lot better at now. Especially since my kids are a lot older and don’t need me through the night and I’m no longer teaching fitness sessions at crazy hours of the morning and night! Sleep is when your body repairs itself and it’s actually the best time your body has to metabolise and lose weight.
Your subconscious mind also does a similar process; being asleep is when it can take the drivers seat and really communicate with the body and brain what is really going on with you, metabolising or processing memories and learnings from that day.
So make sure you are getting at least 7-9 hours or regular sleep per night. And I’ll take my own advice on this one!
We can also take note from the people in our lives. Observe a friend you’d describe as a ‘happy chap’ and see if you can pick out a positive pattern or habit they might have. We could even take cue from children – what can we learn from them to tap into our own inner child?
pursuit-of-happiness.org suggests ‘People who care for others’ well-being through acts of altruism, volunteering, or formation of communal relationships seem to be happier’
Expressing gratitude to yourself (as well as to others) is a massive way of creating happiness within you. You could start a gratitude journal or take a moment to think of a few things you are grateful for at the end of the day. Celebrating your wins no matter how small throughout the day will have a massive effect.
Slowing down (as much as we can) and taking one step at a time can also be a way to developing positive habits. So with that thought in mind, let us all take one thing from the list and start today. Where would you like to start?